Dental Implants Technologies
A dental implant is a prosthetic device, made of titanium or Roxolid, which is implanted beneath the oral tissues and within the bone to provide retention and support for a fixed or removable prosthesis. If properly care for, many years of successful use of the dental implant can be expected.
Dental implants provide advantages over other conventional restorative dental works:
- Unlike conventional bridgework, dental implants can provide tooth replacement without the need to cut down adjacent teeth.
- Dental implants also prevent the loss of bone in the area of the missing tooth. Replacing the tooth with an implant restores function to the bone and prevents the resorption of the bone.
- Dental implants can also be used to anchor full or partial removable dentures. This provides much greater retention and security than traditional techniques.
Advancement in Implant Technologies and Techniques
Dental implants have significantly improved in the past 20 years. The understanding of the site requirements and placement procedures that are necessary to ensure primary stability have advanced considerably. Implant designs and surface treatments have also evolved. This has lead to high success rates for dental implant treatments with patients reporting greater comfort level.
- 3D CT Scan & Digital Tomography for Treatment Diagnoses
- 3D Dental Imaging for Treatment Planning
- Ultrasonics Generators for Pre-surgery Preparation
- Dental Implant Surgical Set
- Dental Implant Motor System
- Innovative Implant Surface for Faster Osseointegration
- Regenerative Systems for Soft Tissue Support
The increasing use of osseo-integrated implants has created a wider demand for radiographic techniques in the pre-surgical and post-operative evaluation of the patient. Correct topographical information is required on the prospective site for planning the implant location.
BIDC uses Planmeca ProMax digital CT Scan and Planmeca ProMax digital x-rays that has effective tomography programs which meet these demands. Planmeca Promax combines several imaging modalities into one intelligent X-ray unit.
- Panoramic radiography for general diagnostics of the tooth arch and the jaw.
- Advanced panoramic radiography for specific diagnostics of the tooth arch, the jaw, maxillary sinuses and temporo-mandibular joints.
- Dental tomographic slices for detailed morphologic diagnostics of facial bones.
- Cephalometry for imaging of the skull
Planmeca ProMax offers four digital tomography systems: linear tomography and true linear tomography for film tomography and digital linear tomography and Transtomography for digital systems. Planmeca ProMax tomography system produces straight tomographic slices of any part of the maxilla,mandible or temporomandibular joints. The tomograms can be cross-sectional or longitudinal and are adjustable to any specific angle. Adjustable and uniform image thickness of 1, 3, 6, 9, 18, or 36 mm maximizes the diagnostic value and provides excellent details.
3D Computerized Technology Scans and pre-operative planning dental implant software are now also available that provides an increased level of confidence:
- viewing functionalities of axial, sagital and coronal images as well as cross-sections and panoramic images
- 3D visualization and simulattion of implant placement and bone augmentation procedures
- a constant tool for clear communication between all members
- provides accurate and comprehensive information about the patient's anatomy
- enables flapless surgery whereby no incisions are made in the patient’s mouth
- provides comprehensive, non-distorted data describing your patient's bone quantity and quality
With dental implant planning software, surprises during surgery is eliminates and enables an extra margin of safety for patients.
BIDC uses the Piezotome ultrasonics generator machine by Acteon for sinus lift treatments and pre-implant surgery that is used during osteotomy, osteoplasty, sinus lift, syndesmotomy procedures prior to dental implant placement.
The modulated piezo signal (alternation between high and low amplitudes of signal) allows tissue relaxation and optimal cell repair for a clean cut and better healing. The generator also preserves soft tissue and delicate anatomical components (nerves, arteries and mucous membranes as becomes inactive on selective soft tissue cut, thus limiting all risks of injury.
Benefits of the piezotome unit thus includes:
- Fast healing and reduced post-operative pain with the use of piezoelectric instruments reduces trauma.
- There is no intraosseous temperature increase, so necrosis risk is limited
- The units tips' slimness enables a very precise cut, promoting bone preservation
- Irrigation with the Piezotome handpiece has a hemostatic effect on the cut surfaces due to cavitation and in part to the production of nascent oxygen
- The piezoelectric effect creates a regular movement without extraneous vibrations for increased patient comfort
Dental implant surgical cassette is designed for secure storage and sterilization of surgical instruments and auxiliary parts. The dental implant surgical set is normally composed for a simple color-coded application pathways layout that is based on surgical procedures. The convenient format for all instruments needed for the implantation enables dentists to clearly arranged and organize their dental implant treatment procedure readily for stream-lined process.
The MD 30 Implantology Motor System is the convincing result of 40 years of research and development in the field of implantology. The motor system is an outstanding solution providing implantologists with sterilization features enabling dental implant placement quick and safely:
- Light and compact housing with easy to clean surfaces for safe hygiene
- Work steps are large, simple and clearly arranged on display with high contrast for clear visibility
- Easy to insert tube set with low noise pump drive for patient comfort
- The dual motor principle is unique in this class. It saves cubersome reconfiguration of the handpieces and contra angles and saves time for quick reaction
- Integrated calibration functin for every contra angle for precise results.
Material developments and techniques such as the titanum oxide layer on dental implant surfaces has now allows shorter treatment time such as using SLA dental implants by Straumann. In addition to this chemically active surface usch as SLActive surface had enhanced osseointegration between bone and implant.
SLActive dental implants by ITI Struamann has has a chemically active and hydrophilic surface that significantly promotes the initial healing reaction allowing for a faster osseointegration process and higher implant stability. Straumann SLActive dental implant surfaces enables additional condifidence for one day implants, same day implants, immediate loaded implants as well as full mouth/arch implant cases cutting down the healing treatment requirements from 6-8 weeks to 3-4 weeks.
- Faster osseointegration
- Immediate Function for patients
- Enhanced bone formation processes.Ideal texture and porosity for bone apposition
- Higher implant stability during the early critical weeks of osseointegration (removal torque)
- Substantially increased protein adsorption. Its structure most similar to human cancellous bone thus absorbs blood proteins, aids bone growth
- Soft Tissue integration for healthy connective/epithelial tissue and a natural looking gingiva
Aside from innovative new surfaces, new implants materials such as Straumann Roxolid implants and Straumann Bone Level implants has enabled smaller stronger implants to be fitted and better aesthetics.
With advancement in periodontal and implant techniques, post implant surgery periodontal regeneration treatment is now available to enable faster treatment timings and increased success for implant osseointegration.
The development of new types of membrane such as Straumann's Emdogain uses breakthrough knowledge of the basic biology of tooth development, enamel matrix proteins to support the development of tooth-supporting tissues. Comprised of various proteins, the manbrane self-assemble to create a matrix and formation of cementum on the root of the developing tooth, allowing a foundation for all necessary tissues associated with a true functional attachment.
By mimicking the biological processes of natural tooth development, Straumann's Emdogain forms an insoluble three dimensional extra-cellular matrix. This matrix remains on the root surface for 2-4 weeks and allows for the selective colonization, proliferation and differentiation of cells.